Agricultural Problems Addressed by this Platform:
The current and projected population in West Africa poses grave implications for the region`s food security. The volume of food import is alarming even though we can cultivate, process & export these foods. Erinle in 1989 stated that agric production in West Africa & specifically in Nigeria has declined significantly due to diverted interest in oil. The reasons are obvious. First, large amounts are wasted in farms before getting to the market, and this discourages large commercialization. Bad roads, cost and safety of transportation are chief among the causes. Inefficient storage systems, spaces & knowledge gap increases food wastage. The basic knowledge & tools for food processing are limited or are not affordable. The attraction to farming as a profession is challenged by insufficient White-Collar jobs. The current security challenge of herds and herdsmen in farms, destroying both plants and human lives further aggravates the problem. This platform seeks to solve these challenges.
The platform does the following:
1. Small & large-scale Farmers and Agripreneurs are able to sell their products online like Jumia, Amazon etc. directly to consumers and to industries, and Farmharbor middleman the cash and product exchange.
2. Farmers are trained and notified of best planting or livestock-rearing methods, appropriate weather conditions, latest R&D, best manuring, weeding and pest control systems.
3. Farmers get notifications of best storing methods, conditions and available locations for their products by people who have these facilities.
4. Processing firms are able to notify farmers of their equipment and services. This allows farmers to convert their products to other useful forms other than storage.
5. Farmers can easily connect with individual farmers and groups to share related helpful information.
6. Farmers can notify security personnel of invaders to their farms through calls, text messages and email connection service to security personnel in their location.
Unique Value Proposition:
1. Farmers or Agripreneurs are able to sell their products DIRECTLY TO CONSUMERS, who pay conveniently from the COMFORT OF THEIR HOMES AND OFFICES through FarmHarbor`s PAYMENT PORTAL and have their purchase delivered to them. The farmers get their monies once the consumer confirms receipt of their products.
2. The delivery system is like UBER where UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS ARE ENGAGED on the platform to both shop these products within their locality and deliver the products to the consumers and they get their fees.
3. FARMERS ARE CONNECTED through notification of planting, storage and processing spaces, location and techniques from anyone offering at a fee or for free.
4. The platform provides a SPECIFIC MARKET FOR FOOD PRODUCTS cutting out distractions and building HEALTHY COMPETITIONS. It gives local farmers and extra-small-scale Agripreneurs an ONLINE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.
5. It provides an easy alert system and contact numbers for SECURITY NOTIFICATIONS based on location.